Sunday, January 16, 2011

Change of Venue

I woke up today to an email on my phone from Aegean Airlines notifying me that I can now check in for my flight...the one I am supposed to board tomorrow morning. Houston-->Chicago-->London-->Thessaloniki. I decided this was my cue, that it was necessary to sit and carve out some time to write, reflect, and document what God has done and is doing in my life since my arrival in the good ole' U.S.A. For starters...I am not flying anywhere tomorrow - and I'm thrilled about that. I do have a day off from the full time job I started here in Houston and plan on spending a chunk of it with the incredible guy I am dating...see, just minor [life-changing] events since the last time I wrote on here *grin*. Stick with me, I will attempt to explain...

So about 10 days before I left Australia I had an appointment with the Greek consulate in Sydney to secure my visa. Due to the unique nature of my internship arrangements with A21, I did not qualify for any of the available visas. Let's just say the Greek government officials weren't keen to acknowledge a problem such as sex trafficking taking place in their country, and out of this offense accused me of attempting to slip into Greece under some kind of humanitarian aid cover to really have a 6 month post-grad holiday. I walked out of that building knowing that a door which had appeared wide open had been SLAMMED shut. All plans, plane tickets that had been purchased, expectations - gone. Cue one of Kate's completely unbecoming meltdowns - but it never happened. It was so unlike me to remain calm when plans that I believe are solidified go off track. Ask Paul, it's UGLY. Amazing what the Holy Spirit in us can accomplish...His perfect peace was overwhelming. That my friends is nothing that can be willed or mustered up by the human flesh, it was a gift - one that was gladly accepted.

So back at square one...with the degree that I had set out to obtain initially. No leads, no plans, and for the first time in a long time - if ever - I really let myself dream. Once I could set aside my practical self in order to do this it did not take but a minute to identify where my heart was. It was as if I finally saw the picture that God had been painting all around me, piecing together the bits and pieces of my past experiences to bring me here. I was finally able, and willing, to recognize desires I never even knew where there, or maybe even suppressed to a certain extent. Less than a week after arriving home I had a job interview and offer from Catholic Charities. I am now working in the refugee department with the program that provides assistance to unaccompanied minors. Basically my job is to assist children that have been smuggled/trafficked into the States to be reunified with their families. I still can't believe it is even a job description, let alone MY job description, it just fits...

I have been home about 7 weeks now. Some days it feels like I have been home for 7 hours and others it feels more like 7 years. The transition home was harder than I had anticipated. Again, God was so gracious, days after I got home Paul arrived and we were able to spend so much time together. If there is anyone that understands transitioning between lives on different continents it is him, and he just so happens to be one of my favorite people to do nothing or anything with. Being together as a family of four for almost a full month was an invaluable Christmas present. So I did mention another person that has stepped into this precious inner circle of people in my life in such a casual and unexpected manner. I have yet to find adequate adjectives to describe him, or us, or how it even happened. Words fall short, but this gift of companionship is one that is nothing short of an absolute blessing. He adds a beautiful accent to the good that was already present in my life. Mom+Dad introduced us the day after I got home and I am so glad they did. I have reaped the benefits of all of the attractive characteristics that Mom+Dad+Paul acknowledged in him long before I came home and we even met. I'm so grateful...

A new season has begun. So many changes, but He is the same, and that my friends is more than enough.

3 comments:

Mamalibearian said...

I'm so, so happy for you for EVERYTHING that has happened lately in your life! Sometimes it's hard, but we just have to trust in God and let go of things we think we can control better than He can. That's not always easy, but I'm so glad you've found a perfect job, perfect place, and maybe a perfect guy, too! So happy that you are happy! Keep me posted!
I've got a lifetime friend who has worked with Catholic Charities and traveled all over doing all sorts of things for them. She is a lot like you in so many ways. Be happy!

Cyn said...

Are you kidding? That is not near enough! :)

Jina said...

Wow... I wish I could give you a massive bear hug! xoxo